NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My Dog has very high levels in alkaline phosphatase 1400.

Customer Question

My Dog has very high levels in alkaline phosphatase 1400. He s being treated for lymphoma, shows none of the clinical signs for Cushings (hairlosss, frequent wateer intake or urination), but seems to be weak.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

The four most common causes of increases in alkaline phosphatase, in the
absence of rises in other liver enzymes or evidence of liver disease are 1)
young dogs (growing dogs) have higher alkaline phosphatase levels 2)
hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease) 3) hepatic nodular hyperplasia (
a benign condition) and 4) drug interactions. The drugs that are most
commonly associated with rises in alkaline phosphatase levels are
corticosteroids, phenobarbital and primodone, but other medications can
have this effect.

If there are no other liver enzyme abnormalities then in your age dog the general possibilities are cushings disease which you can read about here

This can be due to a liver nodular hyperplasia which is a benign condition impacting the liver. That can be checked with an ultrasound or if need be a biopsy.

Drug reactions can cause this too. Common drugs that can cause this include steroid, phenobarbitol, and primodone but other medications can trigger this too.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There are no clinical signs of Cushing's (water intake, frequent urination, hair loss) and this dog has had high akph readings often throughout his life and has never had clinical signs of Cushing's. He has had ultrasounds several times too and no liver abnormalities, yet we have him on Sam-e/Denamarin for liver support during chemo. He is not receiving preg since early July and none of the other drugs you mentioned. We are giving him 1 gram of Sucralfate twice a day, an hour before meals along with 10mg of Pepcid AC and 100mg of Tramadol with his meals.

His AKPh reading was 1,000 last week and 1,400 this week. He is in remission from the Lymphoma (diagnosed in late June) and his appetite is less, but still good (he used to be a dog that would eat dirt, grass, trash or anything he could his mouth around.

Is there something missing from his diet we could add? Could the antibiotics (Baytril, Ampocillan) be having an effect, or are they helping?

Is there some food or holistic approach we can try? Would vitamin B-12 or C or fish oil or SeaCure, or . . . . help?

If we fed him filet mignon, yams, spinach, carrots, squash, salmon, lamb, brown rice, oats, polenta, sushi, turkey necks etc help?

We still have a couple bags of the subQ left, but he is drinking water now . . . should we buy electrolytes for his water? We really want to DO something to help support his immune system. Have you heard about a doctor in Florida that analyzes blood samples and prepares immune support injections that seem to be working to support the immune system?

What can we do?

Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

There are dogs that have high readings with this that do fine for years.

If you want to add in holistic therapy my suggestion would be to work with a holistic vet as well as your oncologist. As holistic treatment is all about treating the individual you want an individualized program for your dog. This site may help you find a holistic vet near you to work with

as no one regulates the holistic products working with a vet trained in their use who knows the safest manufacturers and products is your best bet.

Many people I know who have worked on cancer issues with their dogs have combine traditional and holistic therapies with good success.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really wish your answers were helpful . . . I guess my questions were too specific. I have found everything you told me in my books and online already, I am already consulting with various doctors, so referring me to someone else to answer my questions is not really an answer. I guess we are just on our own here . . . thank you for trying.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

All we can do is answer the question you ask. I have no way of knowing you wanted different information than what you asked for.

No one can diagnose or treat your dog over the net. Your best bet for holistic care is not to try to invent something on your own or mistake advertising gimmicks for real information but to work with a holistic vet to get the info for your specific pet.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I see . . . your answer is to seek an answer elsewhere . . . Thank you for your time. I do not want to pay for your advice so we can end this now please.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

You misunderstand - it would not be legal for *anyone* to give you a treatment plan for your pet over the net. If you got someone to do that, I'd not advise trusting them to have your pet's best interests at heart. Suggestions to check with your vet sure but not a treatment plan.

And yes I want you to do the safest thing for the dog that you love.

If you don't want to pay, the site never requires that experts be compensated.

You just need to email them and ask for your deposit back.

[email protected]