Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My small dog drank a whole spilled beer and is unresponsive

Husband working on house spilled a whole beer on floor didnt think anything about it ,floors are still plywood, dog drank all beer. When I arrived home dog in kennel, passed out, cannot walk. Emergency night vet closed on Wednesday not sure what should I do. Dog cant walk, doesnt seem to have any pain but only lays on side. NOt just a smal can of beer a 40oz beer
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

Signs of alcohol poisoning usually begin 30 to 60 minutes after ingestion and you might expect to see the following symptoms :

Vomiting, wobbly gait, depression and disorientation, hypothermia (low core body temperature) this would progress through to heart arrhythmias, seizures and tremors, death ( Depending on how much alcohol was swallowed and the weight of your dog )

This is potentially a serious situation particularly as you have a small dog and it has passed out and cannot walk. My advice to you under the circumstances has to be to get your dog to an emergency vet somehow.

There is no home remedy I can suggest here, if the dog has passed out you cannot safely make it vomit, and there is no specific antidote to alcohol poisoning in the dog. If you cannot get your dog to a vet all you can do is wait and hope that she sleeps it off.

But be aware that alcohol intake in the dog is different from alcohol intake in a person and it is very much more toxic to them.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This incident happened about four hours ago. Taz does respond to stimulation, eyes open and she has been able to drink some water. No vomiting has occured. She does show signs of hypothermia - she is shivering quite a bit. She is still unable to stand or walk, to get her to drink we held her up to the bowl of water. Taz has also urinated at least once.

Right now we've got her wrapped up in a towel to keep her warm, and will try to get her to drink water at regular intervals. Is there any more supportive care we should attempt?

Thanks for your help.

Hello again.

It is encouraging that after four hours she responds to stimulation and can drink.

You are doing the right thing in maintaining her body temperature, keep her wrapped in the towel or a warm blanket and make a hot water bottle by filling the likes of large coke bottles with warm water. Wrap these in a towel and lay them by her, watch the water temperature though.

Also keep her fluid levels up as much as you can and stay with her and keep her comfortable and awake.

Thanks for the accept, I will be about for at least a couple of hours more so come back to me as often as you need to.

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.