Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I think my dog may have swallowed a gold necklace with charms

Customer Question

I think my dog may have swallowed a gold necklace with charms on it. She is a 22 lb. llaso-poodle. Is this possible and what should I do. We walked her and she had one stool movement, but no sign of the jewelry. She has been lethargic since this happened. What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

HI Gianna,

It is possible for a dog to eat a necklace and if she does not pass it through the stool then it may become an obstruction of the bowel. Symptoms of this are sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or change in stool, and lethargy. An obstruction would require surgery. I would suggest that you have her x rayed to see if the necklace is inside her and where inside her it is.

Here is more on obstruction. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx