Dr. Anna
Dr. Anna, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years in private practice and 3 years in shelter medicine

my dogs ear is bleeding internally. he shakes his head alot.

Customer Question

my dogs ear is bleeding internally. he shakes his head alot. same thinghappened last week and i cleaned it and now its doing it again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Anna replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Dr. Lindsey here.
Is this just one ear or both?
Have there ever been any other skin problems anywhere on your dog?
What did you clean the ear with last week?
Has there been any change in food? Change or new treats? Change in the place the dog lives, walks or plays-in other words, any change in his enviroment?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One year. Gave the dog a bath a few weeks back.... No skin issues. I cleaned it was a damp cloth. No change in food or living place. Dog stays inside only goes outside for bathroom
Expert:  Dr. Anna replied 8 years ago.
99.9% of the time what we think is dried blood in the ear is actually an overgrowth of bacteria and especially yeast. Sometimes the ear is red and inflammed and sometimes it's not, just that brownish-red discharge. We will diagnose the ear problem by taking a swab of the discharge and looking at it under a microscope. We can see if there is an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria. We can also see red blood cells. Sometimes the yeasty ear will smell yeasty if you put your nose right up to it ( yea, the dogs think you're crazy when you do this). Yeast infections occur if moisture (from a bath or swimming) gets in the ear. Yeast LOVE warm moist environments. Hopefully that's what happened, because the other very common cause of ear infections is allergies, and allergies can be a bear to deal with. I need to also mention ear mites as a possibility although not common in a dog this age. The best thing to do is have a vet look in the ear to determine if the ear drum is intact, check the smear under the microscope, +/- culture depending on the findings, clean the ear and give you the appropriate medication. This may be just ear drops or drops and oral meds. Cleaning the ear as you're doing is OK but be sure to dry it gently when done. Donot put and drops in the ear until you are sure the ear drum is still intact - some drops will cause hearing damage if the ear drum has ruptured. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.