Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

what to do if my dog hurt his leg

what to do if my dog hurt his leg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Yanira,

Is your dog putting any weight on the leg at all or keeping it up the whole time?
How long has this been a problem?
Do you know how he injured the leg?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HE TRIES TO PUT WEIGHT ON IT. THE PROBLEM WAS YESTERDAY AT NIGHT BUT HE WAS FINE WHEN WE TOOK HIM WALIKING AROUND. I GUESS IT HAPPEN ONCE WE GOT HOME BUT I DONT KNOW HOW IT HAPPEN
Yanira,

Thanks for the additional information. You will want to check his paw over well. Look between his toes, around the pads and check the nails. Sometimes there will be a problem there. If you find a splinter or stone, you can remove that. If you find a sore area, you can soak the paw in epson salt water, disinfect with hydrogen peroxide and apply neosporin or triple antibiotic cream.

Continue up the leg searching for any tenderness or obvious injury. If you find an obvious injury such as a broken bone, then you will need to have him seen. Otherwise, try a couple of days of inactivity (crating is best) along with some buffered aspirin to help with inflammation and pain. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you don't see improvement after that time, then you will need to have him seen. It may be that he slipped on a floor or stumbled on a step. Dogs have been known to injure themselve in both ways. HOpe this helps.