Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My dog has dropped only one testicle. Is there a surgery to

My dog has dropped only one testicle. Is there a surgery to go in and get the other testicle to "drop" so that the dog can breed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your dog who has only dropped one testicle. In answer to your question, sadly the answer is no there is not. This is because dogs who are 'cryptorchid' (meaning those that only drop one testicle) have this trait within their genes, meaning if it were possible to breed from them then they would pass this trait on to puppies they father. This really is not a trait we want to select for, and by breeding from cryptorchid animals, we are basically selecting for the trait!

For this reason Veterinarians neuter all of these dogs, and this in itself is a relatively tricky surgery, involving an abdominal search for the retained testicle. After this testicle is found and removed, the one that has dropped is also remove, ensuring the dog cannot be bred from.

I hope this all makes sense, and that you understand why we do not breed from these animals. Please reply if you would like more info.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards