Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

after a litter of puppies when will dog next come on heat

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dee,

Pregnancy has no effect on a dog's heat cycle. They will continue to come into heat on schedule. If she normally had 6 months between heat cycles, it would still be the same. So that would be 4 months from the pups birth approximately.

Hope this helsp.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your answer... just to claryfy... her last litter were born on 10th may , and her last heat was 1st march.. should I take it from 1st march or from 10th may when her litter were born... sorry to be a pain but she has silent heats so I need to know when roughly she is going to be ready for mating so I can keep her away from males... many thanks
Hi Dee,

You would count from the first day of her last heat cycle. So if she goes into heat every 6 months, it would be 5 months from the heat cycle. Female dogs do have bleeding and a vulva that swells with the start of the heat cycle. If you separate her from the males as soon as there is any swelling of the vulva and keep her separated from them until it is back to normal, that should keep her from becoming pregnant.