Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

What dosage of ranitidine should I give my 80 lbs dog

Customer Question

What dosage of ranitidine should I give my 80 lbs dog? Why does my dogs breath smell all of a sudden?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

The normal dosage for Ranitidine (Zantac) is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound of body weight every 8 to 12 hours. You could give your dog (1) 75mg tablet. This is given for acid reflux in dogs. I will supply you with a website that gives further information on the Ranitidine and its useage in pets. Joan

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you Joan. My dog Cody also has really foul smelling breath today. Can a sour stomach cause bad breath in dogs?
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

That can be one of the reasons for bad breath as well as a dental problem, gum disease, eating something that he should not have. The Zantac should take effect within a couple of hours of ingestion and you should start to see some difference in the breath by the next day if the stomach was the problem with the breath. You can also put your dog on a bland diet for a few days. The diet will be chicken breats boiled at 1 part skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice. If the bad breath, continues a Vet visit should be done to see what the cause of the problem can be. Joan