Dr. Laurel
Dr. Laurel, Veterinarian
Experience:  over 8 years successful veterinary medical experience.General practice-includes medicine and surgery
11753927

dogs stomach growling and rumbling, eating grass, not vomiting

dog's stomach growling and rumbling, eating grass, not vomiting nor does he have diarrhea
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laurel replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,
Thank you for your question. Can you provide some information and let me see how I can be of help.

Has your dog had vomiting or diarrhea episodes in the past?

What are you feeding him including treats?

How is his activity level?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>yes he has vomited and had diahrea in the past although not this time.</p><p>he is getting wet dog food (cesar supreme) and for treats he gets milk bones with real bone marrow, puperonni treats. Also boiled chicken legs are another primary food.</p><p>he hasn't been a very active dog for quite awhile. we did go for a walk today and he was willing but ate grass and had a normal bowel movement.</p>
Hi there,
Thank you for the additional information.

The medical term for the gut sounds you are hearing is borborygmi and we can see it in conditions of poor digestion. You seem to be feeding your pet a high fat diet and this can contribute to digestion problems. Caesars is high in fat and so are the puperonni treats.
It is believed (not proven) that when dogs eat grass,their stomach is upset, so your pet may be a little uncomfortable at this time.
I would recommend that you cut back or cut out the ceasar and puperoni and feed a lower fat diet. I do not know that I can make an actual recommendation using this forum so I would recommend that you speak to your vet about a more suitable diet for your pet. The milk bones are fine.
You can give him pepcid (over the counter medication) for his present gurgling and see how that helps. For his breed you could give him 1/2 of a 10mg tablet twice daily 30 mins before he eats.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know whether you have any other concerns/questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about milkbone chewy chicken drumstix and waggin train chicken jerky tenders as treats. This is all the treats he has been used to getting.
Hi there,

It is better to give your pet one good treat and not too much others. This because your pet can develop dietary intolerance, food allergies and IBD later on.

A lot of those treats are high in fat and not tolerated well by our dogs. They can also develop unpleasant things like pancreatitis and bladder stones with these different varieties.

You can feed your pet baby carrots or apples. But you will promote his good health (and save some vet bills), if you feed one low fat treat instead of a variety of high fat or poor quality treats.

Please let me know if you have other concerns.
Dr. Laurel, Veterinarian
Experience: over 8 years successful veterinary medical experience.General practice-includes medicine and surgery