Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

does a male dog go in heat if so how often, I have a 10

Customer Question

does a male dog go in heat    if so how often, I have a 10 month old male corgi, who has been extremely anxioud for two weeks, high strung and a little aggressive
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

Male dogs don't go into heat. They do reach sexual maturity around the age that your puppy is now. In some dogs, that can result in more aggression, but shouldn't cause anxiety or make the dog become high-strung. If your corgi is to be primarily a pet, rather than a show dog, you may want to consider getting him neutered. That can help with aggression.

As for the other problems, think about the events of the past two weeks. Have any changes been made that might cause anxiety - house guests, a new work schedule for a family member, children returning to school, a particularly loud thunderstorm, or construction going on in the neighborhood? Any of these things could be upsetting your puppy. A health problem can also cause anxiety, so if it doesn't improve soon, I would schedule a vet appointment to have your puppy examined and to discuss the problem. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can I squeeze in 1 more, i.e.
I told the breeder actual on to ask advise, she made it sound like my Max committed Murder, she said, I should return the dog to her, that his biting was bad, bad, bad    , I have had him for 8 months and do not want to return him.
do you think this is so bad ( his biting me ) he is so far good on walks outside, meeting people and other dogs
thanks so much for your help,
the reason for not being neurtered   is I thought maybe my grand child Mira could get interested in showing him, he is beautiful
thanks so much for your help Maryann
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
Yes, you can ask follow-up questions at no additional charge. For some reason, when I first read your question and answered it, the part about biting wasn't there. Biting is pretty bad, but since your puppy is only 10 months old, it can be worked on. First of all, I would definitely get him neutered. Your grand child could still show him in junior handling classes as neutered dogs can be shown there. Aggressive dogs don't do well in the show ring, and will often be disqualified. Your vet will need to make sure the puppy is healthy before neutering him, so be sure to discuss all your concerns with him/her.

I would also get this puppy enrolled in an obedience training class as soon as possible. Find one that uses positive methods, as punishment and negative methods can make aggression worse. Also begin a "nothing is free" approach with your puppy. Before he gets a meal, make him sit. Have him wait at the door before being allowed out. In short, he needs to perform some small exercise (sit is great) before getting anything he wants. this will reinforce that you are in charge. If you can get him in class and begin this program at home, you should be able to change his behavior at this young age. If this sounds like more than you're able to do, then it might be best to return him to the breeder. again, if you need anything else, let me know.