Dr. Laurel
Dr. Laurel, Veterinarian
Experience:  over 8 years successful veterinary medical experience.General practice-includes medicine and surgery

My dog has had a foot fungus since the middle of July. I took

My dog has had a foot fungus since the middle of July. I took him to the vet and they gave me animax ointment. I have been using it since then. I took him back to the vet and then he had a pancrirtis problem. He was in the hospital for two days. I took him back and he still had the foot fungus. The other vet said was his paws with Head and Shoulders. I have done that and that hasn't helped. I Live in Florida. Do you have any sugesstions? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. Thanking You in Advance
Hi There
Thank you for your question.

Do you know what type of fungus he was diagnosed with?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My Vet said here in Florida that when there is dew on the ground of the morning it has bacteria in the grass. We moved here in 2006 and this is the first time he has got it. He has allergies also. To what I was never told. He has always licked his feet. He is a dachshund. Mr. C is 8 years old. Thanking you in Advance
Thank you for your additional information. Licking his feet is indeed a symptom of allergies.

There are a few options you could try to help to relieve your pet's symptoms.

You could request malaseb wipes from your veterinarian which are medicated wipes you could use on his feet twice a day once after his walks in the morning and again before bed-time. If your vet does not have the wipes there are a few home-made remedies you could try.

You could make a home made solution of white vinegar andrubbing alcohol in a 1:1 ratio, 1/2 cup white vinegar to 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol and use cotton or gauze pads to apply to his paws..

Another home ready is epsom salts, which you would also use to soak his paws twice daily again after his morning walk and at night time. Soak for 1-2 minutes then dry his paws well afterwards.

Bear in mind though that allergies are not cured only controlled, so either of the above remedies you will need to use long term or whenever he starts licking again.

Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any further questions or require further information.