Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

DERAMAX VS RIMADYL. IS ANY ONE BETTER OR SAFER THAN THE OTHE

DERAMAX VS RIMADYL. IS ANY ONE BETTER OR SAFER THAN THE OTHER?
Thanks for the question,

This is a complex issue but I will try and distill it down to the core for you ..

1. Both these drugs are a class of drug called non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs { NSAIDS } The same family as aspirin, they have both been tried and tested and are properly licensed for use in the dog.

2. Basically these drugs act by inhibiting an enzyme called cyclo-oxygenase (COX), which is necessary in the formation of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins in turn are what causes pain and inflammation, which of course is what hurts your dog.

3. But COX comes in two forms:

A. COX1 is involved in making prostaglandins which protects the stomach lining and intestine and also protects the kidneys.

B. COX2 is involved in making the prostaglandins responsible for pain and inflammation.

4. Deramaxx stands out because it only inhibits the COX2, whereas Rimadyl and the other NSAIDS will inhibit both COX1 and COX2. For that reason on paper Deramaxx is the safer drug as it will control pain but not affect the stomach lining or the kidneys.

5. Used properly Rimadyl is safe and so is Deramaxx but Deramaxx is the newer drug so lots of vets will have years of experience with Rimadyl and be comfortable with it but Deramaxx may be an unknown quantity to some of them. Side effects are noted in both drugs from time to time.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS