Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Dog ate a Zantac

Customer Question

Dog ate a Zantac
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

How big a dog ate the Zantac?

What MG. was it?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5 - 150 mg each he weights about 16 lbs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5 pills of 150 mg each dog weighs 16 lbs
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I want to confirm the dog ate #5 five / 150mg Zantac.

How long ago?

Do you have 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in the house?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it was 5 150 Zantac I had just purchased the bottle tonight. I do have hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Normally this would not be a problem if the dog had 1 pill, but since it is 5 pills we need to induce vomiting. Please give 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to the back of the tongue. Before giving the Peroxide please give a small piece of bread to eat. This will help get things going . Once the Peroxide is given then jostle the stomach to get things aggitated to induce the vomiting. I will stand by to give further instructions. We will repeat the procedure in 10 mins. if it does not work the first time. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He did not get sick so I will try again.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

After you give the 3% Hydrogen peroxide make sure you jostle the stomach or jog around. The bootle needs to be fizzy to work well. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Please let me know if you have any success? Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has still not threw up and is very active, happy and normal.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Let us try one more time. That is 750 mgs of zantac which is way too much for a 16 pound dog. Try another piece of bread wait a couple of Mins. then give 2 tablespoons of the Peroxide to the Back of the tongue. Jostle the stomach well and see if we can get those pills up. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did the 2 tablespoons and still no results. Now he is getting quiet but it is his normal bed time.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

At this point we have two choices, the first is to try and wait this out and see the Vet in the AM. The other choice would be to see the ER vet for a stronger medication to have your baby vomit and to give an activated Charcoal lavage. If it was a smaller dose I would not be concerned since we do use this in dogs, but the amount ingested was way too much. Let me know what you are going to do. I can try and locate an ER vet for you if needed. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for all your help. I don't know why I didn't think of this first but Bennie (the my dog) always gets car sick. So I am going to take him for a ride. I know where the emergency vet. is in my area so I'm ok. Again thanks for your help.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Good luck! Best wishes! Joan