Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my dog is coughing like she has something stuck in her throat.

my dog is coughing like she has something stuck in her throat. She will stop for a few minutes and then go on for a few minutes. This has been going on for about an hour on and off. My vet office is closed. Help please!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer
Is she wretching, like she is trying to cough or vomit something up that just won't come out?
Does anything come up when she coughs?
Is she eating the small bites of food and water, and able to swallow normally?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes she seems to be getting something up that wont come up. She seems to be doing it less often though as we speak.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Is she bringing up any white foam or bile and spitting it out?
Is she able to swallow the small bits of food and water you are giving her?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, she quite eagerly swallows the small bit of food, but did not have much interest in the water. No, she is not spitting anything out or foam or anything.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Does the cough sound like a dry, honking sound, or is it wet and mucusy sounding?
Did your dog spend any time unattended before this began?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I would say a dry honking sound. She was out in the back yard playing with the other dog just before she started coughing. She was very dirty when she came in so I am assuming the were playing hard.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like she either injured her throat in some way, or may have a piece of a twig or stick stuck inside of her throat. To have such an acute onset of insessant coughing really suggests this. If it does not completely stop in the next 10 minutes, then I recommend that you take her to an emergency clinic to be evaluated. It may be as simple as sedating her so that they can open her mouth wide and look down her throat to see if there is something stuck that they can just easily remove. If not, then they will want to do X-rays to determine if there is some abnormality to her larynx or trachea.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K