Dr. S
Dr. S, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  DVM, Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
11952171

my maltese runs in circles and screams when she moves her bowels,why

Customer Question

my maltese runs in circles and screams when she moves her bowels,why is this? took her to the vet thought she was constipated the gave her lactalase 2cc didn't work, she had pumpkin, mineral oil, vasaline in but, but to no avail she still screams oh yeah her stool is not hard its soft... can you help???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. S replied 8 years ago.
It must be so difficult for you to see your baby like this. I think your vet has done the correct thing to treat for constipation. Now that her stool is soft but she still has this problem, we will have to do more investigation.

I recommend that she have a rectal exam to feel for any abnormalities. She should also have her anal glands expressed and examined. The anal glands are 2 small sacs on either side of her rectum. If they are infected, it can be very painful. If they are impacted, they need to be expressed to help decrease the pain.

She should also have a complete orthopedic exam, as getting into the position to defecate puts strain on the joints of the back limbs and on the back. If she had a disease of her knees, that could cause pain.

If you could videotape an episode to show your veterinarian, it may help them diagnose her problem. I hope she feels better soon. Good Luck. Dr. S