Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience

My dog is terrified of thunder, gun shots, and fireworks.

My dog is terrified of thunder, gun shots, and fireworks. When we have a thunder storm in the middle of the night he tries to crawl into bed with my kids. He doesn't tear anything up but he pants loudly and drools when he is afraid. Buddy is a 7 year old 110lb black lab mix. I can put him in the basement to solve the problem but he is still afraid and his fear seems to be getting worse as he gets older. My family is tired of being woke up in the middle of the night. Is there a good solution to this other than finding him a new home? I have given him Bendyl and it helps some but the biggest problem is when we have a surprise storm or it wears off in the early morning hours.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Buddy's mom! Thank you for your question today.

This is such a common phobia--fear of loud noises like storms and fireworks. It can be quite a problem for some dogs, as you have experienced.

I am encouraged to hear that the benadryl works (but just wears off too soon). This is a good sign as it tells me he might respond well to some other types of medications too. I commonly prescribe sedatives for dogs with noise phobia. Some of the medications we use are valium or acepromazine, a tranquilizer. Both of these medications would sedate him more heavily than the benadryl, and would last longer.

There are some natural products that some dogs respond well to as well, such as a product called Rescue Remedy. I would recommend that you call your vet and discuss some of these options and if these types of medications are safe for your dog if he has any past health concerns. Your vet may be willing to prescribe you something to try. I am confident one of these medications will help and you will get better results. There is no reason he should have to find a new home, as I think this can be easily solved!

Here is a nice article on storm phobia. If you click on the "behavior" tab at the top of the article and look up noise phobia, you will find many articles with helpful tips as well.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hope things go better with your dog!