Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can I give my dog childrens tylenol for fever and vomiting

can I give my dog childrens tylenol for fever and vomiting?
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : Tylenol can be given to dogs at a dose rate of 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg), two to three times daily.

Here is a link which covers the use of this drug in depth : LINK

While it can be used in dogs it is not a drug I would prescribe myself, there are better alternatives. You should always consult your vet before starting any new medication.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not able to take him to a vet's office it is to stressful . Did you read the rest of my explanation under just tried, he has a heat condition and is 17 years old. He has been refusing to eat his food when his heart pills are in it for the last week or so and I haven't been able to get much of his medicine in him. He is not walking well, but he looks ok inhis face. He has been throwing up and hasn't eaten much in the last two days.
Hello again,

It is so difficult for me because I cannot examine your dog, the last thing I want to do is give someone wrong advice. While the tylenol would reduce any pain your dog is in it would be no substitute for antibiotics if your dog is running a high temperature or the heart drugs which he is not taking.

I have been accurate with you in so much as tylenol can be given to dogs and I have made sure you have the correct dose rates but the judgment call on whether to use this drug or not rests with you.

I cannot help thinking that under the circumstances you should arrange for a vet to carry out a hands on examination, perhaps a home visit if he gets stressed?

I am so sorry I cannot be more positive in directing you on what to do but I am online and will be pleased to answer any more questions you would like to ask.

Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you I would also like to know if it is ok to give him Pedialyte (oral electrolyte maintenance solution) I have concentrated Tylenol infants drops for fever and pain relief. How much should I give him?
Hello again,

Each 1.0 ml of concentrated Tylenol infants drops contains 80 mg of acetaminophen. I have taken this information from this web site LINK please visit the website and check this is your product.

Tylenol { acetaminophen } can be given to dogs at a dose rate of 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg), two to three times daily. So if your dog weighs 10 pounds the dose would be 10 x 5 mg { lower dose } = 50 mg which would be about 0.6 ml.

The best thing to do is to weigh or estimate your dog's weight in pounds and give 0.6 ml of syrup per 10 lbs bodyweight.

But check my figures and calculations just in case my arithmetic is wrong.

The Pedialyte is a good idea and cannot do harm, it will keep him hydrated and give him some energy.

Regards,

Scott