Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

My dog has a skin tag. I took her to the vet and they did

My dog has a skin tag. I took her to the vet and they did recommend removing the tag due to the location and size, but she would need to be put under and I was hoping to avoid that stress for both her and myself. My husband read about 'tying off' a skin tag and we know humans who this remedy has worked for. Essentially you tie a string tightly around the tag and people say it will dry up and fall off. I'm queasy about the whole thing, the idea of her having surgery and the idea of tying it are both upsetting. My husband has currently had it tied for two days and it looks bad to me. Some sort of fluid or small amount of swelling seems to be occuring at the site (not the tag, but on her body under the tied tag). She is not in any pain from it when I press around the area but has been trying to lick it. I'm worried she is getting an infection. I would really appreciate your advice and help as I am worrying myself sick about this and driving my husband crazy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 5 years ago.

Hello there :)

Well, your husband should have listened to you as "tieing off" a skin tag can cause serious infection and, even though she may not show it, it is painful. I know you are worried about putting her under anesthesia, but veterinarians are very safe about this, doing pre anesthesia bloodwork if there is a health concern. Please, take off the string, clean the area with either sterile saline solution or betadine scrub (no hydrogen peroxide on this one) and apply some neosporin to the area. Tomorrow, give your vet a call and have her checked out and really, make that appointment to have it removed. I had a lab that had a skin tag removed at the age of 10 and came through it like a champ and it barely left a mark on him. But please remove the string before it causes more damage than good to your little girl. Let me know how you make out with her :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick answer Gina, can you tell me though if the swelling or fluid I mentioned sounds like a sign of infection?
Expert:  Gina replied 5 years ago.

Hello:

The fluid can be infection or puss from within the skin tag but the swelling is a sign of infection, which is why it is important to have your baby seen by the vet. Please understand that Vets have seen many people try at home remedies that end up botched...so please, don't let that deter you from having this checked :)

Experience: 15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.