Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

One pad of my dogs right paw is Deeply cut/split open. you

Customer Question

One pad of my dogs right paw is Deeply cut/split open. you can see the blood is thicker than usual, must be deep, almost like someone just took a bug cirlce out of his pad. He is bleeding, I dressed and cleaned his wound.. its bleeding through his dressings. I understand dogs are self healers, but should I be worried? go to a Vet? we were jumping off the docks and it must have been a sharp piece of ledge rock? up north in MN. any suggestions? Thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

The first step is to stop the bleeding. You can use white flour on a bandage and apply firmly to the area to stop the bleeding. Once the bleeding has stooped you can begin cleaning and dressing the wound. You will need to clean the area throughly with soap and water. Rinse all the soap off. Then clean with Betadine Scrub to kill any bacteria or germs.. You will need to wash the area with soap and water once a day.

Apply a antiseptic cream such as Neosporin with pain relief and wrap the area in gauze. Use surgical tape to keep it on. You can also purchase a liquid bandage which works quite well with dogs. Apply it to the spot and it will create a small clear coating to keep the area clean. You can also use small white baby socks over his paw taped on with surgical tape the promote healing and help this with the pain.

You will need to keep this clean and dry to prevent any infection. I would suggest having this examined by his vet in the morning as well.

Walter

Walter, Breeder
Experience: Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is and How do I get betadine?

Thanks for the rush... That was the best thing about it.. plus the knowledge as well..

Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

You can use Peroxide for tonight if you do not have any Betadine. Tomorrow you can pick it up at your local drug store or Pet store.

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Great..

I soaked it in warm water using Dial antibacterial.. then I soaked it in clean warm water.. then dried.. then I applied Neosporin.. then he ate the amt. that I had put on there so I put more on.. Then used a Big sterile max absorbant wrapped it up.. The bleeding has stopped but ya know.. if you dab it just a little will get on there.. it looks like where his pad used to be.. inside there.. it looks all bubbly, like a little brain.. its white and pinkish I guess..

So will he survive the night then with what I did, until tomorow at the vet? hah..

Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

Yes he will be fine, no need to rush out to a emergency vet over this. Though he will need to be seen tomorrow because of the deep issue. Your vet may want to get him on a round of antibiotics and possibly stitch this depending on the size.

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That's what I thought... Ok well hey, I can't thank you enough.. I will definatly let my hunting buddies know of you and this site you on. I realized that I did all I could do and ya know.. dogs are tough.. I duck hunt, so I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't have any long lasting issues.. Thanks much!

Michael & Odin

Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

Your welcome and I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX unlikely this will cause any issues in the future he just needs a little heal time and he will be good to go.

Walter