dogadvisor, Head Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialty, Head Veterinary Technician (w/ general practice expertise)

What does it mean if your dogs urine is very dark (appears

What does it mean if your dog's urine is very dark (appears to have blood in it) and the urine is more viscous than normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  dogadvisor replied 8 years ago.

There are many reasons for a dog to have dark urine or blood in the urine. Given the fact that it sounds like this is the first time this has happened, the darkness can likely be attributed to the presence of blood.

Although blood in the urine can be indicative of a bladder infection, a kidney infection, urinary crystals or stones, or a bladder tumor, I would be more concerned that something has acutely caused the blood.

It sounds like she has developed a problem which is preventing her blood from clotting normally. This can be due to an acquired contagious virus or disease, or she could have ingested a toxin, like rat poison. For this reason, I recommend taking her to your vet right away. You may be witnessing the first symptoms of a clotting disorder, which could be fatal.

Even if she just ends up having a bladder infection ( or other, listed above ), you will feel better knowing you got her taken care of as quickly as possible. Bladder infections, as you know, can be quite uncomfortable and painful.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!