Dr Rosie Brown
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.
11851826

if my dogs may have got in antifreeze that was spilt on the

if my dogs may have got in antifreeze that was spilt on the ground and was already soaked in to the pavement and she may have licked it a couple times what should i do is it fatal she is a 20 pound jack russel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Rosie Brown replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jenn

How long ago did your dog lick the antifreeze?

Rosie
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
about an hour ago
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what should i do

If it was only an hour ago, you can make your girl vomit anything she's swallowed. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide, and give her 1 teaspoon per 5lbs bodyweight, but give no more than 3 tablespoons. This irritates the stomach and causes vomiting. If it doesn't work, you can repeat the dose but only once more.

The problem with antifreeze is that it's very sweet, so the dogs like to lick it up.

A dose rate of around I teaspoon of antifreeze per 2 lbs body weight is toxic, so your dog would have to have around 10 teaspoons to become ill. I'd suspect licking it off the pavement after it has dried woudn't have been enough to cause problems.

The initial signs of poisoning are pretty vague and non specific, and you may not notice anything different about your dog. Maybe a bit of depression or lethargy, drinking a lot, staggering, possibly vomiting, or possibly no symptoms at all.

I'd still induce vomiting though, because antifreeze is very poisonous indeed. A dog may not show symptoms straight away, but it causes kidney failure within 1-3 days, and by the time symptoms show, it's often too late. Symptoms of kidney failure are vomiting, mouth ulcers, coma and no urine production.

If you're concerned at all about the amount of antifreeze your dog has licked up, and think it may be enough to cause problems, see your vet to start treatment to prevent any effects on the kidneys.

All the best

Rosie
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.