PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

What are the yellow pills used for dogs that the vet prescribed

Customer Question

What are the yellow pills used for dogs that the vet prescribed for him. All it has is cough tablets. What are the ingredients and side effects please
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 years ago.
Customer thanks for your question!

Cough tabs are rx'd for its expectorant and cough suppressive qualities. It's usually rx'd to be given every 4 hours. The active ingredients are guaifenesin and dextrometherphan. Cough tabs work by relaxing skeletal muscles. It can also have a sedative effect and, adversely, cause an increased in heart rate. Extremely rare cases of increased gastric transit time has been observed. This is, at least, with normal medication levels.

If the pet has been overdosed, of course, I'd have to recommend taking him to a vet promptly. Symptoms you might see in the event of an overdose: problems breathing, nystagmus (eyes darting side to side or up and down very quickly) and rigid muscles.

If my answer has helped you, please click accept. Good luck with your baby!

Sami