Dr Rosie Brown
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.
11851826

My dog has swallowed a fish hook and i cant afford the surgery.

My dog has swallowed a fish hook and i can't afford the surgery. What can I do to help her pass it safely?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Rosie Brown replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm sorry your girl is going through this.

I've been told by colleagues in the past that feeding a dog 100% cotton balls (not the polyester ones, as they can stretch out and cause a whole new range of problems) will wrap the foreign body in cotton wool and protect the sharp end as it moves through the gastrointestinal tract. I was concerned that the cotton balls may cause an obstruction in themselves, but apparently this isn't the case. You can soak the cotton balls in a sloppy mix of water and tinned food, and feed your dog half a dozen of the balls. Keep an eye on her bowel movements and make sure the cotton balls come through.

I must let you know you though, that if the hook is actually embedded in the stomach wall, this won't work and the only way to fix this is surgery. Also, there is a small chance that the cotton balls will actually cause an obstruction, but I've heard of this working often enough with glass, razor blades, and other sharp objects to think it's worth a shot.

All the best with your girl.

Rosie