How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20975
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Which types of frogs are poisonous to dogs

Resolved Question:

I was just out walking a dog (I own a dog walking company) and the Cavalier King Charles Spanial that I was walking decided to try and go after a frog. She's not foaming at the mouth or anything like that, but I just want to know if I should take her to the vet or be worried at this point.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hi,

As you know, certain breeds of frogs/toads, can have an adverse effect on dogs, if they lick or eat them. The biggest offender is the 'Bufo Marinus', which is found in many areas of the Southeastern U.S. and other areas/countries, as well.

http://www.pgaa.com/canine/health/bufotoad.html
http://floridagardener.com/critters/BufoMarinus.htm

Poison dart frogs are also toxic to dogs.

Foaming at the mouth would be a symptom that the frog or toad excreted a toxic substance through it's skin, but sometimes symptoms are not as immediate.

I'd monitor her closely and if she seems to exhibit any symptoms that are unusual, definitely have her evaluated by the vet, immediately.

I hope all will be well!

Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I sat with her for about 5 minutes after it happened, and she seemed like the normal puppy that she usually is...would symptoms develop more than 5 to 10 minutes out?
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

Please excuse my delayed response; I was offline when you replied.

If she had licked a poisonous frog or toad, she would most likely exhibit symptoms pretty quickly.

Cher
Cher and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions