Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

what would cause blood in my dogs loose stool.Yorkie poo breed.Has

what would cause blood in my dogs loose stool.Yorkie poo breed.Has inflamed pancreas
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your Yorkie-poo and his bloody loose stool. It sounds like your Vet has already done quite a bit of work to diagnose Pancreatitis in your girl and this is a great start. The bloody and loose stool is a common symptom of canine pancreatitis. It can appear oily and grey, is usually loose and can quite often be bloody. Other signs you may have noticed include lack of appetite or "picky" eating, vomiting, gagging, depression, weakness, excessive or little water drinking and abdominal tenderness.

It sounds like your Vet has already put your girl on IV fluids and antibiotics which is perect. You will also need to make sure you feed your dog an easily digestible, low-fat diet if the diagnosis is in fact pancreatitis. Cooked or boiled chicken (no skin or bones) and rice is a safe choice to start out with. To ensure your dog gets additional nutrients many vets recommend mixing in a small amount of Hill's Prescription Diet w/d or i/d canned formulas. There are other veterinary diets such as Royal Canin that have foods formulated for pancreatic health as well. After feeding the special diet for a week or two (depending on the severity of the pancreatitis) you can gradually work in your dog's regular food. If it's chronic pancreatitis your vet may recommend keeping your dog on the prescription dog food, or if you prefer, a low-fat homemade diet. If you choose the prescription dog food diet, you can gradually work in the dry version of the prescription formula and continue to feed canned mixed with dry or switch to solely dry. If your dog is obese your vet may prescribe a special dietary formula.

Also make sure that you give your dog small amounts of water frequently, especially if there's vomiting. Fluid therapy may be necessary if your dog becomes dehydrated.

With the medication your Vet has prescribed the symptoms should slowly start decreasing and eventually your girl will be back to normal. Be sure to administer any medication prescribed by your vet and make sure you return to your vet for repeat blood work and an examination after a round of medication is completed. Your vet may want to do a pancreas-specific blood panel. If the results are still not normal, your vet will likely prescribe further medication and possibly X-rays to detect a cause such as blockage.

With the appropriate treatment and further diagnostics your dog's current symptoms will be eventually be back to normal.

I hope this has been helpful and please reply if you need further information.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian