Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

who can give rabies shots and do you have to be certified and

who can give rabies shots and do you have to be certified and if not certified what are the consequences?
Hi yukon,
The laws regarding this really depend on the individual state, and you can find them out by contacting your state veterinary office. In most states, rabies shots can only be administered by a veterinarian. Veterinary technicians are able to give the shots, if there is a vet in the building that has specifically requested them to do so. The vet must be present at this time.
As for the consequences...that is also something you would need to find out from your inidividual state office. I would imagine it could invlove loss of licensure to practice as a veterinary technician or perhaps a fine.

I hope that this helps you out.

Dr. K