Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

what is the effective dosage of albon per pound. for puppies

what is the effective dosage of albon per pound. for puppies with coccidia. 7 weeks old.
Hi Pommom,

The following site gives the dosage information for Albon.

There is a new treatment method for coccidia called baycox and only requires one treatment.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the second link was no good because i`m not a member. the first link was ok. i was kind of hopeing for more detailed answere.

I apologize that the link is down at this time. Here is the manufacturers site. It is now being used in puppies. You can ask your vet to prescribe this instead of Alban.
Here is a site that discusses coccidia as well.

The information on the page for Albon is "Dogs should receive 25 mg/lb of body weight (55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of body weight every 24 hours thereafter." I prefer to use a link so you can read the precautions and other information on the page.

I am sending this as an info request so you are not prompted to pay again. Here is the info from the original site about baycox.
"A study was done in puppies, administering a single dose of this new drug called toltrazuril (Baycox 5% suspension) at a dose of 10mg/kg (5mg/pd) to puppies 2-4 weeks old. It cleared coccidia completely from the puppies with a single treatment. This drug actually kills coccidia instead of just stopping its spread."