Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my pit bull had her puppies 4 weeks ago, and she still bleeds

Customer Question

my pit bull had her puppies 4 weeks ago, and she still bleeds lightly now and again and i am not sure if this is right, can somebody offer me an answer that may have gone through this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

Hi Celticfrost,

Normally a dog will bleed for about 3 weeks with it starting out so dark that it is almost black or red and gradually fading to a light tan or pink color. Each dog is different so if a dog bleeds for another week, then I wouldn't worry so much about that as long as there are no other symptoms and it is light. However, if it is bright red blood, she continues bleeding for longer than that, you should have her seen by your vet. If there is a foul odor to the discharge or she has other symptoms such as fever, loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea, then you should also have her seen. Bleeding beyond the normal time and other symptoms mentioned could indicate a uterine infection . You can read about this here:

I hope this information is helpful to you.