Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic Medicine)
1615593

My dog is acting like something is stuck in her throat. It

My dog is acting like something is stuck in her throat. It is not blocking her airway but she's extremely freaked out, running in circles and half-hacking, half-hiccuping. I live in a village where there are no emergency vets. I have tried to stick my fingers down her throat but can't get a hold of anything. She's begging to go out and we have gone outside with her - she compulsively eats grass like mad. We are 1000 miles from the nearest emergency vet. Please tell me what I should do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

I need a little more information in order to help.

1. How old is your dog?

2. How long has this been going on?

3. What was she doing before this started?

4. Any past medical issues?

Thanks....

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is 2 years old - this started about 30 minutes ago when I saw her swallow something and I couldn't get to her fast enough to see what it was. She threw up earlier this morning and was oddly lethargic but was playing and seemed for many hours prior to this. She has not had this problem before.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you waiting for an additional reply from me? I answered the questions you asked above - did the reply not make it to you?
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 8 years ago.

I'm typing to you right now -- stand by, ok?

There are a couple of things that this could be --

1. Reverse sneezing syndrome: This is an "alarming" condition to owners, but really isn't serious. It sounds like a hack and backwards sneeze. Here is a link to some information that may be of some help:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1276&articleid=1112

2. If there is something caught, as long as the airway is open and there is no difficulty breathing, you can try to give your dog a couple of slices of white bread (soft, sandwich bread). This can pick up anything "sharp" that may be stuck in the esophagus and ease it's transition into the intestine.

Aspirin is not helpful here -- it can cause GI upset and I don't recommend it.

You can also try some benadryl, 1 mg/pound of body weight. It might help your dog calm down and it won't hurt.

If this is still going on tomorrow, your dog should be seen. I understand that you can't get to an emergency vet tonite due to the distance.

Please let me know if I can help futher.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will - thank you
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 8 years ago.
Your reply is above! Wink