Dr Rosie Brown
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.

My dog recently broke out in a itchy, red rash all over her

Customer Question

My dog recently broke out in a itchy, red rash all over her body, been shaking her head, and "allergy" like symptoms with puffy eyes, eye snot, and a drippy nose. We had a couple hot days and I thought it might just be a heat rash. Now, some of the rash is leaving, and she just has itchier areas, but she's shaking her head more and has itchy bumps on the floppy part of her ears. It seems like there may be a slight discharge from her ears, but it's not smelly. I'm wondering what I can do for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Rosie Brown replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomerbr />
Wow, your dog sounds like she's had a rough time recently. She certainly could have an ear infection.

You mention using Benadryl after a vet suggested it for hayfever allergy symptoms? Does she often have these symptoms?

The reason I ask is that hayfever/allergy in dogs, called atopy, has a number of symptoms, affecting different body parts. Dogs can sneeze, rub their face, chew their feet and... have inflamed and itchy ears. The skin of the ear canal is very similar to the skin of the body and can react the same way as the body when it reacts to an allergen.

When the skin lining the ear canal is inflamed, you can then get a secondary bacterial or fungal infection, which may cause itchiness, discharge, smell and pain. So, treatment has to be two pronged. Firstly, relieve the allergy and control the itch. If Benadryl helps, you can continue to use it, and can give it twice a day if you need to. It's an antihistamine, which is very safe, and the worst it can do is make your girl sleepy, as you've noticed. Be sure to use the Benadryl allergy with no extra medications, just
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your response and clarity. It really helped me understand the situation better. Thank you for your caring comments as well. Much appreciated!

Customerand dog Boo.