Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

I have a Yorkshire Terrier and she has been panting for quite

I have a Yorkshire Terrier and she has been panting for quite some time. She has plenty of water, the house is not warm and we can't figure out what to do. Can you help?

Hi there Janet_Z,

Thank you for your question regarding your Yorkie who seems to be recently constantly panting - without displaying any other obvious signs to help pin down an exact diagnosis. As you can probably well imagine, there are many different things can cause constant panting. Heavy panting can be caused by heart problems, lung problems, fever, or bronchitis. You can read about this here:

Dogs pant for various reasons. They pant to cool down, but they also pant when they are under stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever, and even sometimes a toxicity! Sometimes in older dogs, there can even be a tumor to blame - this is obviously very unlikely in a younger dog like yours!

If your dog is panting but has no other symptoms, keep a watch on her. It is most likely something to do with the heat in your area or possibly something stressful that has happened. If it still seems excessive after a day or so, or if she develops more symptoms, I'd schedule an appointment with your Vet to get her fully checked over.

I hope this has been of help and please reply if you need more info.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards