Dr Rosie Brown
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.

my dog has a watery like lump on the upper right front shoulder,

Customer Question

my dog has a watery like lump on the upper right front shoulder, what could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Rosie Brown replied 8 years ago.
Hi Kami1,

Is your dog really active? How long has the lump been there? Is it painful at all? Is he limping?

More specifically, is it on the side of the shoulder blade or on the front point of the shoulder blade?

A watery type lump could quite possibly be from running into something and breaking a blood vessel under the skin, causing a hematoma. This may or may not be painful to touch, may or may not cause a limp, and they can be quite large. As the blood clots, the lump can become firm, and then disappear. My own dog had such a swelling on the point of his shoulder after he ran into a tree!

It could also be a cyst, which is a walled structure filled with watery fluid. These can be drained with a needle but they often fill up again, because the cells lining the walls continue to secrete liquid. The only way to permanently remove a cyst is to cut it out.

It's less common for cancerous lumps to be fluid filled, they tend to be firm and fleshy.

If your dog is comfortable, then there's no reason to do anything immediately, however it'd be a good idea to take him to your vet, who will aspirate the fluid and examine it, and hopefully be able to give you a firm diagnosis.

All the best with your little man.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: Other
I am not satisfied with this answer & would like a refund back to my credit card. I found a better site that gave me a more accurate answer to my question. But, thank you very much for trying.