Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

how can you tell if a puppies paw is broken

Customer Question

how can you tell if a puppies paw is broken?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Is this a puppy or a grown dog? (In your post you say "puppy" but the dog is listed as age greather than 12).
Which leg seems to be bothering her?
For how long has this been going on?
Did she have a traumatic incident recently, that you think may have broken the leg?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well it's a puppy only a month old and i was holding her and she accidentaly fell and i picked her up and i took her to her bed and she got up and what i noticed was that she was limping and whining/crying and i put like a piece of tape around her paw(left front one) so it could hold it in place.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
First, take the tape off.

Can she walk on this limb at all, or is she trying to hold it up off of the floor?
When she is standing up...try picking up the right front leg only. Will she bear weight on the left front then..or does she refuse and lay or sit down?
Is she actually only about 4 weeks old?
Did you produce this dog yourself form your own bitch...or did you get her somewhere else? If elswhere...where did she come from?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

never mind. thank you anyway

Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Okay...good luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the think is her paw is dangling and i need to know if its broken and i need to know if sh'es going to be o.k??
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
I cannot tell if her paw is broken, without being able to see her myself. This is why I am asking you questions about this, that I can gather information to determine what is likely to be going on here.

Can she bear any weight on this leg?
When you say that her paw is you mean that it is limp and she cannot move it at all?
Is it swollen?
Is she actually only four weeks old...or is she older than this? Because, four week old puppies don't move around a whole lot to begin with.

Dr. K

P.S.--I am happy to help you out...but I do need you to answer my questions.