Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

Why is my Dog all of a sudden very hungry

My dog Shitzu/Maltese cross 7 years old has always, until recently, not eaten a lot. When offered his meals he would sniff it, walked away and then ate at his leisure - sometimes not until next day. The last few months he cries for his dinner, every time we go into the kitchen and he is wanting to be fed. What ever we put down for him to eat he just "woofs" it down. I have wormed him, still the same. I have also weighed him and he has put on weight! nearly 2 kilos. He has been given more food when he first started this behaviour because I thought he was hungry! What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer and thanks for your question.

The symptoms you describe may be related to hypothyroidism, which is more prevalent in older dogs, so a complete senior blood panel, including a T4 thyroid test, would be in order, at the vet, at this time.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hypothyroidism.html

There are other underlying conditions which may be affecting your dog's sudden change in eating habits, so I hope you're able to have him evaluated by the vet, ASAP, and all will be well once he's diagnosed and treated.

Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Could I have just a little more information? What other underlying conditions are you talking about?

Your help with this would be good.

Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, Robbie, and thanks for your reply.

Cushings Disease is another possibility, but from your description, he
doesn't seem to have ALL the symptoms, that's why it's so important to have him evaluated in person by the vet, and have blood tests. Also, running a fecal sample would also be a good idea.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/cushings.html

Even though you wormed him, the treatment you used may not have been effective, and/or may not have been repeated. Worming treatments usually need to be repeated in 2-3 weeks, in order to be completely effective. Tapeworms (gotten from ingesting infected fleas) will make a dog feel hungry, and the worming meds given at the vet's are the most effective.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/tapeworms.html

I can provide you with some possibilities, but only a physical exam and lab tests will provide more information leading to a diagnosis, then your dog will be treated appropriately. I hope you're able to have him seen by the vet ASAP! Please keep me updated on how he's doing, because I do share your concern. Thanks.

Cher