Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

What happens when a dog eats grass thats just been fertilized

Customer Question

What happens when a dog eats grass thats just been fertilized? My dog has had diareha and the apartment I lived in fertilized our grass. What can I do do help get her belly back to normal? I've given her peptobismol.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello Jana,

How long ago did your dog eat the grass?

Do you know what type of fertilizer was used on the grass?

In addition to diarrhea, is your dog vomiting, not eating, not drinking or exhibiting any other symptoms of illness?

How old is your dog and how much does she weigh?

How much Pepto did you give, and when?

Thanks for your additional detail.

Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was fertilized 3 days ago but still smells strong. She has eats it occasionally when we potty. A neighbor is having the same issue with her Jack Russel Terrier who is 8 months. My 7 year old dog seems to be fine.

I don't know the type of fertilizer, it was my apartment building who did it.

My puppy is eating, she vomited twice 2 days ago.

My dog is 5 months and 4 pounds.

I just gave a little pepto bismal, maybe half a teaspoon at the most.

I'm wondering if they have stomach flu or it was the fertilizer?
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Fertilizer can cause intestinal upset, including diarrhea and vomiting, but it should resolve itself in a few days; however, specific fertilizers can be more toxic than others, so an evaluation by the vet, ASAP, since your pup is young and small, might be your best course of action. From: http://www.i-pets.com/rpet27.html

"Fertilizer can be very attractive to dogs. Additives such as bone meal are enticing. While the basic fertilizer formulas of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus are generally not highly toxic, additives such as fungicides can be. Most dogs that ingest fertilizer show gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and/or diarrhea, but they do recover on their own. In some cases, however, they need fluids for hydration and medications to settle and soothe the stomach and intestines. Consult with your veterinarian for the best course of treatment when your dog ingests fertilizer."

For the moment, I suggest feeding your dog 1 slice of very burnt toast, burnt black, as this will help neutralize any toxins. Feed her a bland diet, including jarred plain baby food chicken or beef, or plain boiled chicken breast or hamburger meat (with the fat drained off) mixed with white rice (no onion, seasonings). Feed her small portions, every few hours. Also, mix 1/2 teaspoon plain unflavored yogurt into one of the portions, to add 'good' bacteria to her digestive system. Also encourage her to drink water.

If the vomiting and diarrhea continue, bring her to the vet, as soon as possible, for the most appropriate treatment.

I hope all will be well with your dog, and don't walk her where you know they fertilized. Also, if your apt. complex did not put up signs, saying they fertilized, they MUST do this in the future, and also must put up signs (in the grass) saying when they spray pesticides.

Cher
Experience: Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cher, I spoke with you a few months back about my puppy yorkshire terrior. I've had another issue arise and spoke with another vet on here that I found was not very helpful. I also discovered that he is new and does not have the feedback rating you do. I was hoping to be able to get a second opinion from you if possible.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Jana, and thanks for contacting me again. I do apologize for the delay, but I just read my email and saw notification of your post.

I found your other posts and agree with Walter's (an excellent dog expert!) recommendations re: your puppy's current skin symptoms, and if her fur is also coming out, in addition to her major flakiness, and you notice a darker color beneath the white flakes, this could be ringworm or another type of fungal infection on the skin. If you're bringing her to the vet tom'w (Sat.) due to her injured leg (poor baby!), discuss the further possibilities of allergies and/or ringworm or other fungal skin infections as causes for her current symptoms. I do hope the Benadryl will help ease some of her itchiness, but clear it with your vet before giving her any over the counter medication.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/ringworm.html

This is a great site re: explanations of many different canine skin conditions--

http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/skin.htm

If the problem does not turn out to be related to ringworm or another fungal/yeast infection, bathing in an oatmeal or other soothing anti-itch dog shampoo, would be a good idea. I do agree with Walter re: not bathing too often, as it removes the natural oils from the skin and causes dryness. Drs. Foster and Smith makes a nice line of canine skin care products which are usually available in major pet supply stores, in addition to online, and you can see them here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2001+113031

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2001+113734

I too, am sorry you did not find the first vet's answers very helpful and would be glad to notify Administration of your dissatisfaction, but please keep in mind that if you are not satisfied with an answer, you are not obligated to accept it! In fact, I feel so badly that you've already accepted 2 answers on this subject re: your little puppy, that I don't want you to feel you have to accept mine. My primary concern is the health and well-being of your puppy.

Please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you tom'w.

Thanks,
Cher

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for all of your help. Between you and Walter I'm feeling like I have some options to try before I break my bank account:) I've had really good help off this sight which is why I returned. I'm going to try what you guys suggested. I feel like this may be some sort of infection so am trying to contact my vet but at least I have other solutions.

Thanks so much again!!!!
Jana
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last quetions:) What products are you thinking of for the Drs Foster & Smith? Shampoo? Lotion??? I'm using using Virbac Epi Sooth shampoo and conditioner already. They are a antipruritic, soothing, and hydrating product. I got them from my vet..................
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Jana, and thanks for your replies and your accept.

I'm glad we helped you feel you have a better direction now, when you speak to your vet.

The Virbac Epi Soothe shampoo and conditioner should be helping with the itching and dry skin, but it contains an ingredient which leaves a coating on the skin for 'protection', and I only hope this is not making the condition worse, if she's sensitive to it.

The products I was thinking of from Drs. Foster and Smith was yes, the Oatmeal Shampoo, and also the Itch-Stop shampoo and conditioner, but it's important to first find out what's going on with her skin, because if it IS an infection of some sort, you don't want to make it worse with any ingredients in these shampoos/conditioners. The most important thing is to find the underlying cause of her skin symptoms and make sure she's receiving the best treatment possible, to resolve it, then you need to use a shampoo/conditioner to alleviate her discomfort, which will 'complement' the treatment of her skin condition.

Please let me know what happens at the vet. (just click 'reply')

Cher