Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

How do I know if my Shih Tzu puppy is a cross. He has a wirey

How do I know if my Shih Tzu puppy is a cross. He has a wirey coat and as I had a Shih Tzu before for 15 years I know that this little guys coat is not the same. It is very fine and sheds. He is only 4 months old but was bought as a Shih Tzu purebread. Even the groomer says he is not a purebread shih Tzu.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
If he was a purebred then he would have come with papers for you to register him with the AKC-American Kennnel Club. If he did not then I would ask the owners you bought him from for the papers as that is your best bet to finding out if he is a purebred or not is if he can be registered with the AKC. It can be hard to tell by the coat as some can have a more wirey coat than others but the main thing is if you are able to obtain papers and get him registered and that is your best bet to knowing if he is purebred or not.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it does not really help as I did get papers to say he was registered with the Irish Kennel Club and I since changed the registration into my name. Just being registered with the Kennel Club does not automatically mean that the dog is what they register it as (paper never refused ink) they dont actually look at the dog before registration. I saw my puppies parents and they seemed authentic but so many people who would have experience of Shih Tzu's (groomers and boarding kennell owners) have said that he is not a true Shih Tzu. He is only 4 months and has quite long legs. My other Shih Tzu was very small at that age and was just like a little teddy whereas this little fellow looks like a small dog at this stage and not a puppy. He is also quite snappy. I would love to know if there is another breed mixed in with him so that I know what to expect for the future.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
If your groomer and vet both say he does not look like a full breed Shih Tzu then that is your best best since he was registered with the Irish Kennel Club and not the AKC. Vet's see mixed and full breeds day after day and they would know for sure if there is any cross mix in there as to do a testing on his bloodwork. I also myself had a Shih Tzuand I agree with what you are saying in that he does not sound like a full bred Shih Tzu and even if both of his parents are it is possible that somewhere down the family line, say a grandparent was not a fulll breed. In my opinion from the description that you give he does not sound like a full breed and I feel asking your veterinarian as well is your best bet since they can get a visual and if possible get pictures of his parents to show him as well.