Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

my dog has a large fluid filled lump by his front leg

Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your lab/husky mix and the lump you have found on his front leg. As you can imagine there are quite a number of potential causes for such a lump and I really would encourage you to visit your Veterinarian when you next can to confirm exactly what this is. Fluid filled lumps can be anything from abscesses (infections) to haematomas, seromas, possibly even neoplastic (cancerous) tissue that is secreting a fluid. The next best step is to get your boy to the Vet so they can take an aspirate of the fluid to visualise under the microscope and or send off to the lab to get analysed. If this is an infection, seroma or hematoma, your Vet will want to drain the lump, possibly remove some of the tissue and send your boy home on antibiotics. Whereas if this is cancerous tissue, it will need to be removed completely and an exact diagnosis made via histopathology.

I hope this helps and please do visit your Vet when you next can.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards