ERDogDoc
ERDogDoc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian
11717641

MY DOG EYE HAS A TUMOR

Customer Question

I HAVE A SMOOTH CHOW. SHE IS OVER 15 YEARS OLD WITH A GOOD HEALTH CONDITION EXCEPT HER EYES. NOT SURE IF IT IS A EYE TUMOR? ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO, IT IS DEVELOPED ON HER INSIDE TOP EYE SKIN. (RIGHT EYE) AND, GROWING BIGER DAY AFTER DAY. THE COLOR IS REDISH. I AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD GET MY DOG AN EYE SURGERY AS SHE IS OLD BUT DON'T WANNA SEE HER BEING SUFFERED FROM LOSING HER SIGHTS. THAT WHY I LOOK FOR YOUR PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS AND HELP.

THANKS,

CYNTHIA HSING
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERDogDoc replied 6 years ago.

Is the tumor on the eyelid itself? Is it touching the eyeball from the lid, or adhered to the eyeball itself?

How long has it been present and how big is it?

Does the eye itself appear normal? Does she seem bothered by the tumor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Doc: Will it be better for me to email you a photo so you can have a better idea about her eye. Like I said, I am not sure if it is a tumor. And, I will try to answer all your questions tomorrow with one photo so you can give me a better suggestion.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Expert:  ERDogDoc replied 6 years ago.

You can try to email me a photo (but I am not allowed to give out my personal email) if the website will allow that.

But the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if the mass is bothering her, it should be removed surgically. There is really nothing else to be done about it.

We anesthetize older dogs all the time, very safely, and with minimal risk. Good monitoring equipment, pre-anesthetic bloodwork, and safe drug use are key for minimizing risk. Some veterinarians have better protocols than others, so I would ask what type of equipment they use. Also if they want to draw bloodwork before anesthesia, that is the sign of a concientious surgeon.

You could also ask for referral to an opthalmologist. If the mass is small enough, they may be able to freeze it off. Also, they tend to be quicker in surgery since they do it all the time.

good luck,

ERDogDoc

Expert:  ERDogDoc replied 6 years ago.

One of the other experts provided me with instructions on how to post a photo...

Thanks Dr. Fiona!

You need to post your files on your question page, so the expert can see them. On your question page, there is a tool bar above the reply box at the bottom of the page. If the tool bar is not showing, click "show tool bar". Once you have the tool bar showing, here are the instructions for posting your files:

For graphics, click the tree icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then insert it.

For zip files, PDFs, or spreadsheets, you need to use the link tool. Enter text (like "download this") in the reply box and then double-click to highlight it. The link is the tool to the left of the tree. In the upper right corner is a browse dialog box, which you can use to locate your file. Select it and then insert the link. Use the Preview button if you want to test the link and see if it works correctly.

File size is limited to 1 MB.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Doc.,

Thank you for your reply. The photo is too big to upload and insert. Anyway, I have suspected my dog has suffered from the eyelid tumor. She had one in 1-2mm on her bottom eyelid about 3 months ago. The color is black. And, it dropped off (perhaps she scratched it or what) then after I took her to the animal hospital and applied FALCON neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates & Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Suspension 1-2 drops a day. And then, her top eyelid (right eye) found another tumor and growing biger about 4-5mm in redish color. It is on the eyelid only but has affected her eyes. It always has sticky liquid on her right eye.

Based on her condition as I described, what's the correct treatment procedure should be. Can you find and recommend me any experienced vet doctor good at the eyelid tumor surgery in L.A.? Will this eyelid tumor comes back again after the surgery? What's approx. cost will be.

Your answers to my questions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Cynthia Hsing

Expert:  ERDogDoc replied 6 years ago.

Hi Cynthia - sounds like your girl has a Meibomian gland tumor. They are benign and harmless UNLESS the way they grow is irritating the cornea - which it sounds like it is in her case.

There should be plenty of opthalmologists in LA! I can't comment on the cost because everyone's prices are different, but you can call ahead of time and ask what it would cost for Meibomian gland tumor removal.

Use the following website to locate a board-certified opthalmologist:

http://www.acvo.org/locate_an_ophthalmologist.htm

I know VCA West Los Angeles has an opthalmologist Dr. XXXXX XXXXX. I do not specifically know him (I'm on the east coast) but I know the hospital and have confidence in them and their anesthesia protocols! The phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Good luck!

Sincerely,

ERDogDoc

ERDogDoc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANK YOU
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
Expert:  ERDogDoc replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome - I hope everything turns out ok!!!