DrLucy
DrLucy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Almost 30 yr as a practicing small animal vet.; experience in gen.medicine, surgery, emerg/crit.care
11482073

My dog is vomiting, has diarreha, and is limping on her left

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting, has diarreha, and is limping on her left side. what are some of the possibilities for what could be going on?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrLucy replied 8 years ago.
Do you know if she has a fever? (Normal is between 100.5 and 102.5). Is it her front leg or back leg? Is it her joints that seem sore?--Squeeze her wrists (carpal joints) and her hock joints (the back joints equivalent to our heel). How much and how often is she vomiting? How long has she been sick? Is more than one leg sore?

There are several possibilities, depending on where you live. In some parts of the U.S., tick or flea borne diseases can cause some of these signs. A familiar tick-borne disease in the North East is Lyme disease and, although vomiting and diarrhea are not usually a prominent sign of Lyme disease, I have seen some cases that have had some.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i live in baltimore, md although we just returned from a weekend in central new jersey. i took her to the vet yesterday and she does not have a fever. the vomiting seems to have subsided at this point but she is still limping (it appears to be her front right paw that is bothering her) and does not want to do anything other than lay in her cage. When she was vomiting, it was just a little bit and all liquid, about 4 times. She also will not drink any water although she will eat ice chips and is having no problem eating the bland diet. I have squeezed her joints and she does not yelp or squeal when I do that.   she has been sick and acting strange for about 2 days now although her leg only started bothering her this afternoon.
Expert:  DrLucy replied 8 years ago.
That area (Baltimore and New Jersey) has a lot of Lyme disease. I would ask your vet to check for that, even though many cases of Lyme disease have a fever, too. It would also be wise to do a full blood screen, including a CBC and chemistry profile.