Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My two year old dog has the sniffles and a wet, watery nose

My two year old dog has the sniffles and a wet, watery nose for the last 2 or 3 days. My new 14 week old puppy was sniffling and sneezing last week and the vet said not to worry and he is now fine. Should I take my 2 year old to the vet, if those are the only symptoms....or should I wait it out and see if it clears up like the puppy? Is it possible the older dog caught what the puppy had (like a cold)?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Dogs do not get colds such as humans do but they can get different forms which are similar. He can have Kennel Cough which is very common in dogs. While this is most commonly transferred in kennels it can also be picked up just about anywhere from dog parks to vets offices. This is very very common in dogs from shelters and the incubation period is around 2 weeks. Parainfluenza is the most common and most contagious of the dog colds, and is passed by the sneezing of the dogs.

You can bring him into the bathroom and run hot water to create steam to help break up any congestion he is having. A warm wash cloth can be used to gently clean the eyes. Make sure he is eating and drinking. You can give him some unflavored pedialyte to prevent dehydration from the dog cold. Rest and time is the best cure unless it gets worse.

You can take him to the vets office if you like to make sure it does not become a infection, but he will likely get over it fine. Your vet can prescribe nose drops and cough drops as well to help clear this up. Your vet may also want to prescribe a antibiotic to help get him over this faster.