Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois

recently found a large hard lump on my dogs right abdomen.

recently found a large hard lump on my dog's right abdomen. His eyes have been running and noticed a small lump on his eye lid. the lump on his abdomen seemed to have just appeared???
Submitted: 8 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 8 years ago.
An appointment with your vet is the best way to get answers about his eyes and the lump on his abdomen and the lump on his eyelid. I would make sure your vet does a fine needle aspirate where they insert a needle into the abdominal mass to aspirate or suck out some cells. These cells are placed on a microscope slide and examined by a specialist to determine if the abdominal mass could be cancer. Your vet may want to skip the fine needle aspirate and go straight to surgery to have the whole mass removed. I recommend this sometimes if I really don't like the way the mass looks. I would not put any more Visine into his eyes. Just leave them alone so your vet can have a look at the eyes without any interfering drugs changing the way the eyes look. I hope my answers help prepare you for the appointment tomorrow. Please let me know if you have more questions about this. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I know that they would do a needle aspirate, in your experience does this sound cancerous and if it does, what are his chances?
It could be cancerous or it could be a hard lipoma (fatty mass). The FNA will give clues about this. If it is cancerous, it depends on what kind of cancer. There are many different kinds and the histopathology of the lump once it is removed is what will give you these answers. No one could give you a speculative answer to this question about his chances until the histopathology has been performed. Hopefully it is not cancer. Best wishes.