Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

my dog is lethargic with excess salivation and her breath is

Customer Question

my dog is lethargic with excess salivation and her breath is smelling bad. she is still eating and drinking and urinating but she lays around and my other dogs are sniffing and licking her mouth. she has always had a funny stomach. what do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
For how long has she been lethargic?
How long has she been hypersalivating?
Is she having any vomiting or diarrhea?
Can you describe the odor on her breath at all?
Would you describe her as drinking excessive amounts of water?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

hey dr k okay she is a breeding dog and is inside the majority of the time. of course i let her run every day i can but friday she ran with the other labs and came back wet from a creek. she started acting lethargic and sleepy and not drinking. she felt hot and her tongue was constantly licking the top of her mouth; i checked her upper palate and it looked redder than usual and her breath has always been foul and she throws up easily when she eats. the last 2 days she has been very lethargic and has thrown up yesterday once and today once. she eats but does not drink a lot. she is peeing but i have not seen her poop. her bowel sounds are hyperactive what i can hear. i gave her a pinch of a tums tonight and am feeding her water with a turkey baster. she feels hot but i dont have a thermometer. she is not drinking excessive amounts of water like poisoning

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

repjy please waiting on your reply

Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
It is pretty much impossible to determine if a dog has a fever just by touching her with yoru hands. Dogs have a normal resting body temperature that is much higher than ours, so they will alwasy feel hot to us. The only way to reliably know if she has a fever, is to take a rectal temperature.
Because this has now been going on since Friday, I would say that this is certainly not a simple virus. Excessive drooling (ptyalism) can be caused by a few different things in dogs. They include:

Foreign Body (like a stick, or piece of a toy) caught in the mouth
Cancer of the mouth
Neurologic or functional disorder of the pharynx (throat)
Salivary gland diseases
Hiatal hernia
Gastric Ulcers
Neurologic disorders (Rabies, Pseudorabies, Botulism, Tetanus)
Toxic Ingestion (household cleaning products, common household plants)
Eating something of disagreeable taste
Animal venom (Bufo toad poisoning)

As you can see, the list is quite long. The constant licking that you described is also usually a sign of nausea. Foul breath is most commonly attributed to dental disease and kidney failure.

Because this has been going on now since Friday and you report such severe lethargy and drooling, I must recommend that you take her to a veterinarian immediately. If she is having a kidney problem, then you do not want to wait any longer on treating this. The vet can give her a comprehensive physical examination to evaluate her for any of the problems listed above, and see if she is in any imminent danger. Be sure to tell the vet that you gave the ibuprofen, as this may react negatively with other medications. Also, do not repeat any of the ibuprofen, as this medication is not safe for dogs and can cause severe gastric problems and kidney damage.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your dog feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K