Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, 10 years in private practice
11201782

My dog got a small puncture wound to her eye. She saw her

My dog got a small puncture wound to her eye. She saw her vet this morning and is getting eye ointment, antibotics, and an anti-inflamtory. Her eye is cloudy now, does this sometimes clear-up or will she most likly go blind?

Hello;

I'm sorry to hear of your dog's problems, but in my opinion, you're on the right track. The cornea has turned cloudy due to edema as a result of inflammation. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since the inflammatory process is one of the first steps the body takes to heal itself. As healing progresses, you may notice that the cloudiness goes away, and you may see blood vessels on the surface of the cornea. Again, this is not abnormal, just the body trying to heal itself. When all is said and done, she may end up with a small white spot on her eye, which would be a corneal scar. Usually a small scar will not impair the dog's vision.

The good thing is that the cornea, or surface of the eye, is made up of epithelial tissue (the same type of cells as in skin). Epithelial tissue usually heals very rapidly, and so chances are good that she will be back to normal within a few weeks.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

MEM

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So even though I can't see her eye color it's a good chance that it will clear up with time and medication? Sorry to be a pain. She's my baby.
You're not a pain. It's natural to worry, especially if you haven't had to deal with this before. And in my experience, even with a significant amount of corneal edema, they do clear up with proper treatment. I know it's tough, but be patient and you should see improvement.