Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

my dog suddenly started coughing up blood collapsed and died

my dog suddenly started coughing up blood collapsed and died it was not poisen he was 3 yrs old what do u think happened
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
It is possible that he had gotten into some rat bait. Sadly in many instances this is what happens to know that something is wrong. With rat bait the dog starts to bleed internally and the lungs is one very common area. The bait makes it impossible for the blood to clot and blood fills the lungs and essentially they bleed to death internally.

The other possibilities here is he may have had an autoimmune disease called IMHA or immune mediated hemolytic anemia which results in low blood counts and possibly bleeding.

Injury or serious infection can also be a cause for this but given that he was very young I am more suspicious that he had gotten some rat, mouse, or mole bait from somewhere.