Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Why does my dog obsessively lick the floor all the time

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
Licking the floor is often a sign of nausea, even if there's no vomiting or loss of appetite. It sometimes can be associated with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), which sometimes responds to a change in diet, usually to a low-allergen diet such as one based on Venison or Duck.

Occasionally it can just be behavioral also, but I usually recommend a diet trial to see if it helps the situation at all.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Drew's Post: So we recently have him on allergy treatment, shots and an allergy sensitive diet with trout and sweet potato.

If he has Inflamitory Bowel Disease, should we stop with the low allergy diet, or what would you recommend.

He is also taking 25mg Atarax 2 or 3 times a day.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
How long has he been on the special diet?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He's been on the new diet for about 6 months, but the licking has just started bad for the last month or so.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
If the hypoallergenic diet is not seeming to help, my next choice is usually either Low Residue from Eukanuba, or DCO from Purina. Either of these foods is sometimes helpful for correcting issues such as what you describe.

Also, a trial of medication such as Pepcid-AC (available over the counter in 10mg size) can be tried, 1/2 tablet once a day, to see if it helps reduce stomach acidity.