Scott, veterinarian
Experience:  24 years practice, 32 years in field.

my dog has a fluid filled lump on her leg. It is a ...

Customer Question

my dog has a fluid filled lump on her leg. It is a dark blue color like blood or a bruise. I took her to a vet today and they thought that it was an abscess, so they drained it. It looks like it is getting big again though. Is that normal? What should I do? She acts normal and eats normal and the doctor said that she wasn''t running a fever.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
Hi, did they drain blood or clear fluid , or pus?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: blood
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
Well that certainly isn't normal, blood would most commonly arise from trauma (hematoma) or un organized abscess. Is it painful? The normal temp for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5 . Did she have any trauma or a bite to the area?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: I don't know if there was a bite or truama. I didn't look like it, but we do live on a farm with 5 other dogs and we walk them down the train tracks everyday. She doesn't walk on a leash though. The vet gave me pills to give her 3 times a day and when she drained it the skin around it was saggy, and she said it was actually just a little one with swelling around it. I noticed after I got off work that it was more colored than before and it was big again. You could see the little one in the middle of the swelling. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.

I'm sure you realize that we can't actually diagnose here, but sometimes the information we provide is enough to give a little guidance. I assume that rattlesnakes, and spiders are not an issue?

In California "foxtails" can present this way, they are grass awns that are nasty and get embedded under the skin.

An abcess can sometimed have a dark center above it in the skin, that is skin that will actually die. I am not sure I am helping.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: It is dark above the skin and I live in illinios. It was painful for her because they sedated her. Is it normal for it to get big again if it was an abscess? Or is that maybe just swelling. the vet did say to put ice on it. Do you think I should take her back in?
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
absolutely, an abscess that is developing and early on can dramatically swell, once the body kicks into gear it is doing everything possible to get rid of whats causing the irritation. Do you have anything like foxtail's that embed under the skin in Illinois?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we do have foxes and she funs free along the creek. We are surronded by corn fields. I am not sure what you mean by foxtail.
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, foxtails are a grass seed that has barbs on it. In California they are all over the place and cause abcesses because they penetrate the skin. If it is an abscess, some vets will opem them up so that they drain, and flush it in case anything is inside of it. If your vet thought is was an abscess, it most likely is...
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
Many vets place drains when an abscess does what you are describing so that it drains for several days and doesn't re-seal up.
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
Another thing your vet might consider would be some sort of atypical fungal infection. I would utilize his/her skill and local knowledge, give him a call tomorrow and let him know what is up. Thanks... good luck!