Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

We have a new dog, a female, that only urinates every ...

We have a new dog, a female, that only urinates every 16 to 18 hours. She is eating fine and drinking water. Her bowels are normal with two stools a day. She is active when outside but doesn''t seem to have the need to urinate but once a day. Is this normal for some dogs or should I worry? Thanks!
HiCustomer
Has she been having any vomiting?
For how long have you had her?
Has she had these urinary habits ever since you have gotten her?
Are you absolutely certain that she is not relieving herself anywhere in the house?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: Hello Dr. K,
No she is not vomiting. She seems fine. She does like to lie on her bed a lot but comes out periodically to check what is going on. We adopted her just 2 days ago from a local rescue league. When I inquired about this urination pattern, they stated they did not know how often she urinated, as the foster mom had a pet door leading to the fenced yard. She has urinated in the house twice Saturday evening and Sunday evening. a large amount, because she would not pee outside. She did not seem to want to go on the grass. However, this Monday morning she did take a long pee on the grass but has not pee'd again the rest of the day. I am sure she has not as I watch her constantly when we are outside and also when she is roaming around the house, now that she has had two accidents in the house. I have even tried letting her run around the back yard without the leash thinking maybe the leash was the problem but with no results. She was in a crate while in foster home for some periods, so she probably got use to holding her urine but 16 - 18 hours is a long time.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
PS..yes she has had this urinary habit of once a day since we got here Saturday.
16-18 hours is a really long time...and based on the two accidents that she has had in your house, and that when she did agree to go iutside, she urinated a large amount...it sounds like she is having some trouble adjusting to her new surroundings. It may take a few days for her to get comfortable enough to go in the yard. Something you should know is that it is physically impossible for a dog to refuse to urinate until the point that there bladder bursts, so don't worry about this. Eventually, the dog would just have an accident and release the urine out its normal exit route.
I wonder if at he other home she was urinating in a rock garden or on concrete. You may want to consider walking her on a leash in front of your house to see if she will urinate on pavement instead.
If this behavior continues for more than another couple of days, or she should start showing any signs of vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy..then I would take her into the vet to be examined. He/she will want to do some blood and urine testing to make sure that your new dog is not having any medical problems.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I have tried walking her in the street and side walk but she has not urinated on these surfaces either. Do some dogs have larger bladders than others? Also is there a chance she could get an infection by holding her urine for that long a time? Thank you.
Some dogs do have larger, or more stretchy bladders than others...and some dogs do have a stronger urethral sphincter than others allowing them to hold it longer. However, 16-18 hours is way too long, and she could not possibly be comfortable holding her bladder that long which is why I think she is holding it deliberately. She really should not try to hold her bladder for much longer than 8 or 9 hours.

Yes, she could be more apt to get urinary tract infections by holding her urine that long.

Hopefully, she will stop this behavior as she gets more used to her new home. If not...then a trip to the vet is the best way to go to investigate this further. Until then, just try to encourage her to drink more water by replacing the water in the dish often with fresh, cool water.

Dr. K

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. She goes for a physical on Wednesday and I will have them check things out then.
You are very welcome. I wish you good luck with her.