Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

My dog cant go to the bathroom

My dog appears to be constipated. does that happen to dogs and if so what can I do about it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Yes, constipation does happen to dogs as well. To cure the immediate problem you can start by mixing 1 teaspoon of pumpkin into his meals to get him regular again. If you need to you can add some more until he go's.

Sometimes constipation is from not getting enough fiber into your dogs diet or because he isn't getting enough fresh water. If this becomes a problem you may want to look into increasing fiber into his diet.

Another reason for constipation can be a blockage from something he ate such as garbage, or a broken bit of bone or toy, if you believe this may be the case of the constipation, I would highly recommend a trip to his vet. When a pet has a blockage, they may exhibit any of the following symptoms: vomiting, loss of appetite, distended belly, an absence of feces or a change in the feces, blood in the stool or vomit, drooling, and retching or trying to vomit with the meal coming up or nothing coming up. If your pet exhibits one or more of these signs a trip to the vet is highly recommended.

Walter