Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Hi, My 8 month old Australian Shepherd has a lump

Hi, My 8 month old Australian Shepherd has a lump on her head that is quite swollen, to the point where her left eye was 1/2 swollen shut. I called the vet and they told me start giving her Benedryl. This reduced the swelling of her eyelid for a day or two, but the lump on her head is still large (about 1/2 her head) and this morning the swelling of her eyelid has returned. A few hours ago, I noticed that the big lump on her head seems to be growing it''s own smaller lump - the size of a dime a few hours ago, but now it''s about the size of a quarter, and it''s very red and puffy (her swollen eyelid is red and puffy too). I have an appointment with the Vet on Monday morning, but it is Saturday afternoon now and I am worried that maybe I should get a Vet for an emergency visit today. The vet''s office tells me it does not sound like an emergency because she is still eating and pooping ok, and no vomiting. They said to keep on the Benedryl and wait until Monday. Advice?? Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

I agree with the advice your vet gave you. I completely understand how frustrating and scary it can be when your pet has something wrong with it and you don't know how it happened or what is causing it. Because of the acute (sudden) nature of the bump and the fact that she's still eating normally, it does sound to me like she's either been bitten by something or stung by something and is having an allergic reaction to it. I suggest you keep up with the Benedryl until your appointment on Monday.

Of course, it goes without saying that if your little girl should stop eating/drinking or develop other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, shortness of breath, lethargy) this weekend, then you should take her to the emergency clinic, however as long as she's acting normally for her, you don't need to rush in to see a vet.

I hope this puts your mind at ease a little!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to CVT_in_MN's Post: Hi there,
Minutes after I sent this email to you, the lump busted and lots of blood poured out. The swelling went down immediately, and we took her to the vet today to have it all checked out. They don't really know what caused the abcess, but told us that they are seeing alot of these lately. Have you heard of something like this happening alot recently? Puppy is feeling much better now and we have antibiotics to give her, but she has a large open wound on the side of her head that we need to watch... hopefully it will heal quickly. I'd love to figure out what caused this, if it was actually an insect, & how we can prevent future abcesses. Any advice?
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 years ago.

Hi againCustomer

I'm glad that your pup is feeling better and that it was just an abcess.

I've seen a few in the clinic I work in, but they didn't all come in around the same time and they most likely weren't caused by anything in common. Abcesses can be caused by many different things, the most common of which is a simple infection caused by staph that just gets out of control.

I don't think there is a way to prevent future breakouts...especially since we don't know exactly why your pup developed one. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and your little one won't have any further problems!

Good luck!!!

***if this advice helped you, please press the ACCEPT button. I don't get credit for my work unless it is pressed.******

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification