Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

My dog is throwing up and having diarrhea

I have a six year old dacshund who has had all of her shots. I came home on Wednesday to find diarrhea in large volumes in 4 different rooms. I came home yesterday to find that she had thrown up a yellow bile at the front door. This a.m. (Sat) she jumped out of bed and had diarrhea from the bedroom all the way to the front door (4 rooms). She then went outside and still had some diarrhea outside. She started rubbing her bottom across the ground. She then threw up. The vomit looked like a mix of her dog and bile. Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having these problems. I hate cleaning up diarrhea in the house! Anyway, back to your baby. If she is acting okay otherwise - still playful and normal - it may be okay to go ahead and treat her at home over the weekend. If she is acting dumpy, unable to keep water down, seems painful, or develops new symptoms I would recommend getting her into the vet today. The normal recommendations for home treatment of vomiting and diarrhea is to fast the dog for 12 - 24 hours. Since she is little I would probably recommend 12 hours. This is to give her system a chance to settle down. Then start feeding her a very bland and bulky diet of boiled hamburg or chicken and rice (2/3 rice) Feed this ONLY for a couple of days and then slowly transisition back to normal diet. You can give several over the counter medications for digestive upset in dogs. I have found immodium to be very helpful for diarrhea. A 10 lb dog would normally get 1/4 of the normal 2mg tablet (0.5mg) You can repeat the dosage in 8 - 12 hours. This usually only takes one or two doses to work. If she still has diarrhea after two doses - I would recommend bringing to the vet. Here is a link to more information about medications that can be used in dogs.

If she is not better over the weekend, or seems to be getting worse, I would not hesitate to bring her to an emergency vet. Some conditions that cause vomiting and diarrhea like pancreatitis, bowel obstructions, or ingestion of toxins can be very serious. Usually with any of these, though, she would be acting lethargic and/or painful. If they are still acting fine - it is often that they ate something weird that upset there system for awhile. Keep an eye on her - but hopefully that is all that it is.

I hope that this helped. If you need more information, just reply to your question.

Donna P.

____________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT_______________

thank you.